AirDrop is a Wi-Fi ad-hoc service in Apple's OS X and iOS operating systems, introduced in version Mac OS X Lion in 2011. Using AirDrop, users can share files with other supported iOS devices running iOS 7 or later through a Wi-Fi network with any configuration and without the need of mass storage devices. AirDrop is the newest feature added in iOS 7 and is a great tool to share files, photos and videos wirelessly with an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network. AirDrop can be used with any app that supports it and it is available in sharing options on your iPhone.
How Does AirDrop On iOS 7 Works
- AirDrop for iOS 7 allows you to share files, photos, and videos through ad-hoc Wi-Fi network and bluetooth with other iOS 7 devices.
- Its working is similar to Wi-Fi direct in android.
- You can only send and receive files from iphone or ipad devices and cannot use it with a mac computer and iphone device. So it is not cross platform.
- You can't share all files with AirDrop regardless of its extension.
- AirDrop does not require the sharing devices be on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn on AirDrop from the all new control center on iOS 7.
- Tap on AirDrop and choose the visibility to 'Everyone' or "Contacts' only. If you are sending files to persons that are not in your contacts then choose 'Everyone', otherwise your iphone will not be visible on their iOS 7 devices.
- Now ask all your sharing partners to turn on AirDrop on their respective iPhones and iPads and set the visibility to 'Everyone' in order to be discoverable by the sender's iPhone.
- Now move to any file, photos or videos and click the 'Share' button. If you are sharing photos then the details of the other iPhones will be available below the photos who have enabled AirDrop.
- Now sender have to choose the devices one by one to share the files or photos.
- An AirDrop notification will appear on receiver's screen. The file will be sent when other users tap 'Accept' button on their iOS 7 devices.
- Now you have learnt to use AirDrop on iOS 7.
AirDrop Supported Apps
AirDrop is supported only for a limited apps on iOS 7. The list is given below.
- Contacts (send a business card to another user)
- Photos with previews before accepting it
- Voice Memos
You May Also Read
Get Blog Updates Via Email Subscribe Now
Please check your email for the verification link. Click on the verification link to start your email newsletter subscription.