Wordpress is the most used open source blogging tool and content management system.Every blogger today is starting his/her new blog with wordpress,because it is the best blogging tool with lots of free plugins and themes.Wordpress plugins are most useful and easy to use because they make blogging easy,clean and clear.You will lots of plugins on wordpress.However if you are not using wordpress or are not associated with it then you should try it before actually buying a hosting service then installing wordpress on it.
Install Wordpress Plugins On Localhost [Windows PC]
Testing wordpress before buying a hosting service will let you decide whether or not you want to come on it to start blogging.In this tutorial I will teach you how to install wordpress on a windows based computer or laptop.After installing it,it will run the same way as it will run on a server.Also you will learn to install wordpress themes and plugins on the localhost computer.Here localhost refers to your personal computer.So let's start.
- Download and install xampp for windows ins the root directory 'C:/xampp'.Don't install anywhere else.During installation check 'Install Apache as service' and 'Install MySql as service'.
- Now download wordpress from the above link.
- Now extract the zip and place the 'wordpress' folder into 'C:\xampp\htdocs'.
- Now open xampp by going to 'Start Menu>All Programs>Apache Friends>Xampp>Xampp Control Panel'.
- The control panel will open in the bottom right section of the screen like this below.
- Now open the default browser and type in the address bar 'localhost/phpmyadmin' and press enter.
- The phpmyadmin control panel will open.Now click on 'Databases'.
- Under 'Create new database' enter 'wordpress' and click 'Create'.Your database will be created.
- Now create a user for this database.Click the the wordpress database on the left then click 'Privileges' on the top tabs.
- Then click 'Add a new user'.In 'Host' choose 'Local'.Then enter desired username and password.
- In 'Database for user' select none and 'Check All' the options below.Then click 'Go'.
- Now type this address in the address bar 'http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php'.
- When you go to the above link then you will be asked to create a configuration file.Click the 'Create a Configuration File' button.Then click 'Let's go!'.
- A further page will open about database information.Here enter your username and password that you entered when you created a new user.Wrongs details here will not create a mysql database connection.
- A wordpress setup page will open.Here you will need to enter the details of your blog like name,email,user name and password.Uncheck 'Allow search engines to index this site'.Then click 'Install Wordpress'.
- After installation click 'Log In' and enter you login details.The dashboard editor will open like below.
- Download your favorite plugins from wordpress.org.Extract the zip file and move the extracted folder to 'C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\plugins'.Paste the folder in this directory.
- Now open wordpress on your localhost simply paste this address in any browser 'http://localhost/wordpress/wp-login.php' and log in.
- See the image above of wordpress dashboard.Click 'Plugins'.For example I have downloaded and installed yoast plugin so I need to activate it.
- In plugins click 'Installed plugins'.Click 'Activate' below any plugin to activate it.
- The yoast plugin is a seo plugin which optimizes your content for seo.You can see it is working on localhost windows pc.By this method you can install any wordpress plugin on localhost.
Install Wordpress Themes On Localhost [Windows PC]
- First download your favorite themes.
- Then extract the zip file and paste the extracted folder in 'C:\xampp\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\themes'.
- Now again open wordpress in local host and click 'Appearance'.The theme that you put in above directory will be visible here.
- To apply that theme just click 'Activate' below it.After activating click 'Visit site' to visit your blog.
- Installing wordpress on localhost will give you same experience as you will get from a paid wordpress hosting.
- You can create your own blog on localhost and customize it and later you can upload it to web hosting server.
- This method will let you decide whether or not you want to buy a wordpress hosting.
You May Also Read
Get Blog Updates Via Email Subscribe Now
Please check your email for the verification link. Click on the verification link to start your email newsletter subscription.