Connecting flash drives or external hard drive to your Galaxy S6 makes it portable to transfer data to and from the usb storage and can be carried anywhere. The Galaxy S6 has 2550mAH battery that can provide enough power to connect pendrives, flash drives, card reader, PS3 or PS4 gamepads or even external hard drives. Galaxy S6 Edge and the Galaxy S6 doesn't have support for micro sdcards, so you should choose 32/64/128 GB model according to your storage requirements. If you run out of storage then USB OTG is the only option to increase storage space in Galaxy S6.
- Samsung Galaxy S6/Galaxy S6 Edge cell phone.
- A USB OTG cable for Galaxy S6.
- A storage device like flash drive, pen drive, external hard drive of WD or Seagate brand. Don't use unreliable brands as they can damage the battery of your phone. Please note that all external HDDs may not work due to power requirements. But you can still test it with OTG cable.
- Sandisk USB On The Go flash drive [Optional]
Connect USB Drives/Flash Drives/External HDD/Keyboard/Mouse/Card Reader To Galaxy S6
- Buy a separate USB OTG cable specially designed for your Galaxy S6. A USB OTG cable has two connecting ends. One end fits in the phone and other end has a female USB connector in which you can connect keyboard/mouse/external hard drive or flash drives. See the image below.
- First connect the one end of the OTG cable to your phone then connect either usb flash drive, external HDD, keyboard or a mouse.
- On connecting any of the above mentioned usb devices you will get a notification on your smartphone.
- When keyboard is connected then you can use your smartphone as a computer to edit and create Microsoft office documents much faster as compared to using the on-screen/software touch keyboard.
- Connect a USB flash drive/pen drive/zip drive/thumb drive/external hard drive to directly view the files stored in it and copy data from the flash drive or copy files in it. You can directly watch movies on your Galaxy S6 by connecting a usb drive by using OTG cable. No matter what the format of the movie. The Galaxy S6 supports all the major formats like MP4, MKV, AVI, MPEG.
- Before removing the flash drive from the OTG cable go to 'Settings>Storage>Unmount USB OTG'. Then remove the flash drive after unmounting.
Using Sandisk USB On The Go Flash Drive On Galaxy S6If you want to use the Sandisk on the go flash drive then it will be good idea as this storage device will eliminate the need of cables and directly connects to your cell phone. The Sandisk on the go drive has two connecting ends one end is micro USB and other one connects to your PC. The micro connector connects to the phone. But the drive can't be connected to PC and phone simultaneously. This is a quick way to transfer files between Galaxy S6 and PC.
- Directly connecting a flash drive/external HDD to your Galaxy S6 will save much time and you can directly copy data from it to your phone.
- The Galaxy S6 can't support microSD cards and if you have you have the 32 GB model then use the OTG feature to save time and money.
- Also you can listen to music and watch movies directly from the flash drive or external hard drive.
You May Also Read
Get Blog Updates Via Email Subscribe Now
Please check your email for the verification link. Click on the verification link to start your email newsletter subscription.